Sunday, April 17, 2011

Why 3DS?

Screw it... after lunch, let's go to Best Buy
I've been trying to justify the expense of purchasing a Nintendo 3DS since its North American release. Given that I own and operate a software company (capitolhill.ca, yo!) I could easily justify it for business purposes... well, at least in the sense that it's a deductible business expense.  On a more personal, practical level however, it could only be justified, perhaps, if my iPhone App would sell a few copies.  As it currently stands, a 3DS and one game would drain my corporate bank account and I need that money for five martini business lunches.

Amidst this personal struggle, and perhaps in spite of my wife's unexpected support in me pissing money down the drain, I decided to read what other people have said.  For the most part the reviews have been positive (Google "3DS review" to see for yourself).  They are typically quite comprehensive; evaluating everything from battery life, to controller features, to the plastic shell that contains the hardware.  This is all stuff I couldn't care less about, because it is, obviously, the glasses-less 3D screen that sets this device apart from the rest, and the only reason I really want one.

As a casual gaming device, I see incredible potential for the Nintendo 3DS. I want the three-minute bus stop gaming experience, because my lifestyle (simultaneously blessed and encumbered by two small children) allows for little else.  As such, I like solitary card/board/Brick-Breaker-type games that I can commence and cast aside as time permits. That said, what does the 3DS offer that existing DS systems do not? Yes, the 3D screen... but why 3D?

Yes, why?

That question was raised as result of this review. Specifically, the reviewer's assessment of Super Street Fighter IV: 3D Edition:

There's also a new, over-the-shoulder view to help augment the illusion of depth, but it won't take long for serious gamers to revert to the traditional side-view.

3D is cool. There's no doubt about that. But what does it really add to game play?  The Street Fighter game wasn't the only one reviewed that gave rise to this question... 3D might be a thousand times cooler than standard 2D game play, but it seems that all the existing titles are equally fun and equally playable in 2D. Before I absorb the expense of a 3DS, I'm going to wait for a game that can only be played in 3D.

Or, better yet, dream one up myself....

No comments:

Post a Comment